Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Time in a Bottle

As the old Jim Croce song says "If I could save time in a bottle". This week I definitely feel like I wish I could save some time in a bottle. But that song is actually more of a love song, which isn't quite what I'm feeling this week.

It's the first week of school, and it has been a whirlwind. Tons of new students are on campus, the returning students are back, there is plenty going on. From my office now I'm listening to the sounds of Laser Tag going on in the ballroom downstairs. I'm super excited to see many of our students who went back home for the summer and to get updates from them. But you see, despite my excitement, I still wish I had just a little extra time.

If I had time in a bottle, I'd get a little more rest to prepare for the flurry of activity on campus this week. I'd use a little of the time to wrap up some paperwork I've been slowly working on. I'd get caught up on some of the things I've put on the back burner. I'd sit down and take some time to get organized for the upcoming year. And I'd use a little bit of the time to do my homework.

That's right, I'm taking a class this semester, so are Pam and Susan. We know what it's like to have to balance work, home, school, family, and the zillions of other responsibilities we all have. And unfortunately, time doesn't come in a bottle (I'd probably buy a couple cases if it did!) so we've all got to learn how to make the most of our time.

Here are just a couple tips that help me:

1. Make a list of important things you need to do. Keep the list in a handy place where you can check off the items as you complete them.

2. Make a little time for yourself. No matter how busy you get, it's imperative for you to have a little bit of time for you, otherwise you'll risk getting burned out.

3. Keep your eye on your goals. Make sure the things you are doing are leading you toward your goals. Feel free to say no to things that don't lead you in the right direction.

4. Be honest with yourself. If you have trouble finding time for the most important things in your life, have a frank discussion with yourself about how you are spending your time, and what you can do to get back on track.

I know this semester is going to be great! BUT, if you had "time in a bottle," what would you do with it?

No comments: